The Certified Health Insurance Specialist (CHS®) certification is the only health insurance-focused certification in Canada. It gives financial advisors the tools to provide their clients with informed living benefits advice.
The CHS certification is conferred in Canada exclusively by The Institute for Advanced Financial Education and course materials are provided by Advocis. BCC supports students taking this course by providing recorded webinars to aid in learning.
Course time to be completed by:
303: Disability Income Insurance – Individual and Group
- The unique moral, physical and legal hazards associated with disability insurance
- Your clients’ risk of disability in personal and business settings, and the importance of addressing this issue with them
- Common provisions of a typical disability income policy, including optional coverage benefits
- Steps associated with classifying occupations and preparing the application for head office underwriting
- Factors affecting the disability claims process
504: Critical Illness, Long-term Care and Group Benefits
- Unique challenges around the design and pricing of critical illness product and underwriting applications
- Advanced planning with clients regarding their short- and long-term care needs
- Different forms of long-term care insurance
- Challenges facing aging clients
- Complexities of group plan design, administration, underwriting and claims adjudication
505: Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program
The Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program is a combination of 5 modules that make up the Advocis Core Curriculum Program:
- 911: Financial Planning Profession & Financial Services Industry Regulation
- 912: Financial Analysis
- 913: Credit & Debt
- 914: Registered Retirement Plans
- 922: Human Behaviour
Note: You may apply for an exemption from Course 505 if you have completed Unit 1, 2 & 6 of the BCC Core Curriculum or hold one of the following professional qualifications in good standing: CFP, QAFP, PFP, F.Pl. (Pl.Fin), CPA (or equivalent), CFA
- Advocis Financial Planning Fundamentals Program for CLU® Certification and CLU Certification Courses 255 and 256
- 4 years of experience within, or related to, the financial services industry.
Each of the Advocis modules are self-study with:
- Downloadable PDF of module content
- Practice exam
- Grades tool to keep track of your progression through the module
- ReadSpeaker text-to-speech tool
BCC provides recorded instruction available through self-study.
Once your courses are completed, apply for your certification through The Institute for Advanced Financial Education.
Your CLU certification must be renewed annually with The Institute for Advanced Financial Education.
To maintain this certification, you need a minimum of 30 continuing education (CE) credits each calendar year, one credit of which must be from a recognized Ethics program.
The CLU modules may count for CE credits for other professional certifications.
No Minimum Subscription Required.