Get in touch with us: (877) 934-5577


Your cart is currently empty.

Accident & Sickness Insurance

Help Canadians protect their lifestyle by advising them on the types of accident and illness insurance products that would meet their needs. The Accident & Sickness (A&S) course is an entry level course toward a career as an insurance agent.

Successful completion of all course components, including certification exams, enables you to write the provincial licensing exam and to apply for an Accident & Sickness Insurance license in any Canadian jurisdiction except Quebec.

This course does not allow you to apply for a license to sell life insurance products.

Who should enrol?

  • Individuals interested in selling accident & sickness insurance or who want to sell health or disability insurance.

This course is recommended for people:

  • Interested in starting a career in insurance
  • Who eventually want to sell life insurance (with additional education required)

Types of jobs

  • Insurance Agent

Ready to get started?

Pathway title

Step 1
Registration with CIPR

Before you enrol, get a registration number from the Canadian Insurance Participant Registry.

Step 2
Coursework and Exams

Complete the A&S Certification Course and pass the included certification exams.

Step 3
Licensing Exams

Pass your provincial licensing exam

Step 4
Apply for License

Apply to the licensing authority in your home jurisdiction. Each has its own specific licensing requirements.

If you plan to pursue the Life License Qualification Program after completing this course, you do not need to take the full course. Enrol in the Top Up from A&S course.

  • Requirements
  • Maintaining certifications
  • Specializations
  • Continuing education
  • Resources


  • Before you enrol in an insurance course, get a registration number from the Canadian Insurance Participant Registry.
  • Complete the HA&S Certification Course and pass the included certification exams.
  • Once you have passed your certification exams, BCC will send notice to CIPR, which allows you to register for your licensing exam.
  • Pass your provincial A&S licensing exam.
  • Apply for your license through to your home licencing authority. Each Canadian jurisdiction has its own licensing authority and specific licensing requirements (links to each regulating body in the chart below). Common items include errors and omissions insurance and a criminal records check.
  • Ensure you have a sponsor (employer or sponsoring insurance agency) available to give you a recommendation.

Maintaining certifications

You will be required to renew your insurance license regularly through your insurance regulator. The frequency and requirements vary by jurisdiction.


If you would like to enhance your knowledge about more complex insurance matters, there are specialized courses you can take that will allow you to better serve your clients. These courses may also count toward your continuing education requirements.

  • The Chartered Life Underwriter® (CLU®) certification provides the education needed to differentiate your practice in complex wealth transfer and estate planning. Read more
  • The Elder Planning Counselor™ (EPC™) course provides education for professionals working with clients over 55 in many different fields, including financial planning, insurance, accounting, funeral planning, social work, and nursing. Read more
  • The Certified Health Insurance Specialist® (CHS®) certification is the only health insurance-focused certification in Canada

Continuing education

Your education doesn’t stop once you earn your certification. To best serve your clients, it’s important to stay current on the latest insurance solutions through Continuing Education.

Continuing Education requirements vary by province.


As you navigate your way through your certification, the following resources may help:

We’ll answer commonly asked questions in our FAQ.

A&S courses

The Accident & Sickness Course (HA&S) provides training for a career in selling accident and sickness insurance products. This course includes the certification required to write the provincial licensing exams and to apply for an Accident and Sickness Insurance license.

Take advantage of our knowledgeable instructors for comprehensive live and interactive instruction covering the course modules. In addition to material review, students will also work through case studies and exam questions to get prepared to write the exams and apply their knowledge in the real world.

translation missing: