- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- June 2020
Sep 01, 2020
With fall right around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about the CFP® and QAFP™ exams coming up this November. Like previous years, candidates will have the option to write their exam in-person at a designated testing centre, but they also have the option of writing their exam in an online proctored format from their home or other private location. FP Canada™ states that the online proctoring option was implemented as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic following the advice of health experts and governments.
What do I need to know about writing my CFP® or QAFP™ exam?
- The QAFP™ exam will take place on November 23, 2020
- The CFP® exam can be written on one of three days: November 24, 25, or 26, 2020
The FP Canada™ website provides a wealth of information regarding the new
online proctoring exam process, should you choose that option for your exam. It’s a good idea to take the time to read through this entire page and follow the links related to each exam type (CFP® or QAFP™) for exam guides and other important information that you’ll need. The FAQ document has important information regarding the online proctoring exam option, including a general overview of the writing process and what to expect, as well as computer requirements.
As we mentioned before, you have the option of choosing whether to write your exam in-person at a designated testing centre in your area or from your home or another private location. This choice is left to the candidate, so you are in full control of how you would like to take your exam. Regardless of which option you choose, the exam itself and the interface you will write it on will be the same.
Here are some tips to help you prepare from Jason Watt, CEO and full-time instructor at Business Career College:
- Prepare in advance for your exam. Read the information from FP Canada™ to make sure that your computer is ready, and your exam environment matches the required standard. Write a practice exam (FP Canada’s, BCC’s, or any other exam prep provider) at least one week in advance in an environment as close as possible to your real exam.
- Read FP Canada’s FAQ document.
- Make sure you have valid government-issued ID ready prior to the exam. Double-check your ID to make sure it is not expired, and that it won’t expire before or on the exam date.
- Anticipate technical difficulties. If you choose to write your exam from home, you need to be prepared for things like trouble logging in, servers going down, and other technical difficulties. Remember to stay calm and remind yourself that these issues are beyond your control, and that your live proctor will be available to assist you. FP Canada™ is usually fair about adding time back to the exam for those who lose time because of technical difficulties.
- You will not be permitted to use a second monitor. You may have to practice using one monitor to adjust yourself to this rule.
- A physical ‘booklet’ of case studies is not available. Case study information will be virtual. All case studies will be provided in the exam interface. You will not be able to print case studies while writing your exam, so don’t print any for your practice attempts either.
- You will have to show your writing environment to the online proctor. Visual tracking software might be used to pick up on distractions, such as using a second monitor to type or reading prepared notes during the exam (both prohibited actions). If this software is used, the online proctor will be informed.
Write your exam with confidence! Sign up for BCC’s exam prep webinar
After you write your exam, it’s a good idea to make notes about the
experience. FP Canada™ will send you an email asking about your experience,
and it’s important to provide feedback so that they can improve the exam in
the future. In addition, if you need to take the exam again, your notes will
help you prepare.
Good luck with your exam, and if you have any questions, be sure to reach
out to FP Canada™ at the contact information listed at the beginning of their